|Catalyst JOEH Find Consultants Job Board Member Center Marketplace|
|About AIHA Membership Get Involved AIHA University Events IH/OEHS Careers Public Resources|
|We believe that worker health and safety is a fundamental human right, and that’s why we tirelessly work to promote and advance the occupational and environmental health and safety profession and those who practice it.|
|Sensitization and the Built Environment - Connecting Research and Practice (AIHce EXP 2020 OnDemand)|
|Recorded at Virtual AIHce EXP 2020
Earn 1 Contact Hour
Sensitization to contaminants that can be found in the built environment (occupational and residential) is a common problem, but frequently not well-understood. This session is designed to help attendees understand biological principles behind the sensitization issues commonly encountered by IH/IEQ professionals. The presenters will use a combination of scientific publications and examples from actual consulting projects to explain the process of sensitization and reactivity to specific contaminants that can be found in the built environment. Topics will include: a) biological contaminants (fungi, allergens, pests, laboratory animal allergens, industrial enzymes), and b) a variety of chemicals that can cause sensitization, and influence the way the human body interacts with biological compounds.
Upon completion, the participant will be able to:
• Demonstrate understanding of the biological process of allergic sensitization.
• Identify the allergenic compounds typically encountered in built environments.
• Use sampling techniques for occupational allergen exposure assessments.
• Describe the options and limitations of common sampling methods for fungi.
• Anticipate co-exposures to other contaminants can influence reactivity and health outcomes.
• Implement a holistic approach to investigating complaints in the built environment.
Dr Eva King, MSc, PhD, CIEC
AURA EnviroScience LLC
Keswick, VA United States of America
Michael Amster, PE, CIH, CSP, FAIHA
M.B. Amster & Associates, Inc.
Concord, MA United States of America
Stock #: AOD20_L4
Member $25/Non-Member $35/Student $25
Your Price: $35.00